Mathieu Debuchy played 70 minutes in Lille’s season opening win against Saint-Étienne last night, and then re-affirmed his desire to leave the French club.
The reported Newcastle target suffered a minor injury which meant he was withdrawn earlier than expected. Afterwards, Lille boss Rudi Garcia confirmed that the injury was nothing serious.
Debuchy himself spoke to Canal+ and made the following comment on his potential transfer:
“I don’t want to talk about my future. I heard what the chairman said. The transfer window is open until Sept. 4 [in France].
“I still want to go. We will see.”
What we don’t know is whether Newcastle are still interested in Debuchy, after club president Michel Seydoux blocked the move to Tyneside.
Last week, sources in Newcastle said that Toon had moved on to Ajax RB Gregory van der Wiel as a potential target after giving up on their pursuit of the 27-year Debuchy.
As Debuchy himself says, “we will see.”